This is one of my all time favourite recipes and my go to any time we have overripe bananas in the house (oh dear did I forget to eat the bananas, oh well I guess I should make some banana bread..). It’s my wonderful Grandma‘s recipe and since she taught me to bake in ounces, the ingredients are listed in ounces.
If we’re entirely honest this is definitely more cake than bread, but it is baked in a loaf tin and the bananas make it at least a little bit healthy right?!? Its definitely not Slimming World friendly though, but it is oh so tasty.
- 9oz self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp (1/2 a level tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3oz butter
- 6oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1lb bananas (weighed in skin then pealed and mashed) The riper the better really!
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Slowly add the eggs, adding a little of the flour if necessary
- Stir in the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda (it will seem a little dry for a cake mixture at this point)
- Add the mashed bananas and mix well
- Spoon into a lined loaf tin
- Cook at 180c (gas mark 4) for 1 hour and 15 minutes (when its ready a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean
If you like nuts you can throw in some chopped walnuts but make sure to reduce the flour to 8oz
The recipe is really simple and definitely worth making. It tastes delicious warm and the slight crispy end pieces are my favourite!
Thanks for popping by,