A couple of years ago I really must have had some time on my hands because I decided to bake for any potential trick or treaters! Actually, I love baking, but my waistline doesn’t love it when I eat everything I make, so it was a good excuse to have fun baking without the guilt of eating too many cakes afterwards. I came up with these gooey surprise centre cupcakes and was so pleased with how they turned out!
Sorry for the photo quality, these were taken a few iPhones ago, and I haven’t had the chance to make them again this year. They seemed too good a seasonal bake not to share though! So here is the recipe…
For the cake
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6oz unsalted butter, left out of the fridge to soften
- 6oz caster sugar
- 6oz self raising flour, sifted
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- Seedless jam – any flavour is fine, I used raspberry
- Green gel food colouring (gel food colouring is heat stable so will maintain its vivid colour during cooking)
For the icing
- 3oz unsalted butter, softened
- 6oz icing sugar, sifted
- Orange food colouring (this doesn’t need to be gel as its not being baked)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth
- Add the eggs and vanilla with a little bit of the flour mixture to prevent curdling and mix until smooth
- Add the rest of the flour until fully combined
- Add green food colouring to reach your desired colour (a tiny bit goes a long way with gel colours!)
- Spoon the mixture into spooky cake cases
- Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes until well risen and golden
- While they cool, make the buttercream by combining the left over butter with the icing sugar. Add orange colouring a little at a time until you’re happy with the colour
- When the cakes are fully cooled, use a piping bag with a wide nozzle to pipe jam into the centre of the cakes
- Then swirl the buttercream on top to finish. The jam inside will be a total surprise until someone bites or cuts into their cake!
And there you have it, simple to make cupcakes with a hidden Halloween surprise. Let me know if you make them this Halloween!
Thanks for popping by,
I’m linking up with My Random Musings Halloween Horrors, so head over for all things Halloween!